The Boris Karloff Foundation Trainee Assistant Director Scheme provides an opportunity for a director to gain experience working on a show presented at or produced by the Young Vic. The directors should have limited experience of directing but be able to demonstrate a commitment to a career in theatre directing.
The opportunity to support the director in rehearsals, previews and run of a show will provide the trainee assistant director experience of the etiquette of the rehearsal room, the relationships between the creative team, the craft of the actor and the technical rehearsal period etc. They will have the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in a supported environment working alongside a director on a professional production.
The chance to assistant a director in the rehearsal and production process of a show will give the trainee the where-with-all to apply for other assistant director roles, either at the Young Vic or elsewhere, with confidence and with an informed understanding of the skills and expertise they need to demonstrate to a potential employee/director.
At present we are looking for an assistant to work on Macbeth, directed by Carrie Cracknell.
You will need to be available full time during rehearsals from Monday 5th October to Thursday 3rd December 2015. During the run (4th December to 16th January) the trainee will continue their connection with the show as and when their other commitments allow.
Criteria for application
We accept that it is hard for all directors to secure paid high quality assisting work and through the scheme we aim to provide opportunities on all our shows. This scheme is particularly aimed at new directors who fit the following criteria.
• Have seen work at the Young Vic
• Have less than one years’ experience of working professionally in theatre as a director but can demonstrate a commitment to a career as a theatre director
• Have not assisted at a theatre equivalent to the scale and reputation of the Young Vic
• Have not studied to degree level or at a drama school
• Under 26
We actively encourage and seek out applications from disabled and BAME directors
If you would like to apply please send the following information:
· A CV (no more than one A4 page)
· up to 200 words on three things you would specifically like to learn from assisting on this show
· Up to 200 words on what you feel are the personal and external barriers that are preventing you from getting where you want to be as a director.
Please complete the equal opportunities form attached.
Please clearly state that you are free for the relevant dates. If you have any access needs please let us know.
Please send your email to Sue Emmas at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadlines for applications is 10am on 21 September.